Episode 11 of the Spirituality for Normal People Podcast features and interview with Jennifer DeCombe. Jen is the associate secretary for Canadian Ministries, working at the National Office of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. At the end of the interview, there is a really interesting conversation about inviting non-Christian friends to learn about faith.
Some of the Topics in this interview:
- What role can institutions or denominations play in the development of Spirituality?
- The ways congregations are struggling with engaging with following Jesus
- Leadership modelling what they hope for the wider community
- Daily Scripture Reading – The enriching of life through regular reading
- Ritualizing Bible study and prayer and linking it to daily activity (like drinking coffee!)
- Lighting candles at supper
- Praying the Lord’s Prayer together
- “Uncomplicated” Spiritual Practices
- “Resetting” Spiritual Practices – self-discipline and making a decision to go to the Bible.
- Having grace with yourself when you are in a rut spiritually.
- Mini-Habits – setting very small goals for connecting with God.
- Positive Rituals, Habits, and Practices
- An honest conversation about having a spouse who is not a Christian
- Inviting non-Christian friends to learn more about faith
Links and Resources
- The Answer to How is Yes by Peter Block
- Community: The Structure of Belonging by Peter Block
- Vital Churches Institute (Word, Prayer, Share Resource)
- Life With God Bible
- Journal Bibles (with colouring pages!)
- Lauren Winner
Get Consistent Connecting With God
So many people struggle with staying consistent in their devotional life. Here are 6 tips I've learned that can help you get back to a consistent time with God. Some are quick and easy, others will take you deeper.
Just let me know where to send it.