Episode 17 of the Spirituality for Normal People Podcast features an interview with Kelly Edmiston. Kelly is the student minister at First Colony Church of Christ. We pack a ton of amazing stuff in this episode, as you can see from the notes below. Such a great conversation!
Some of What We Talk About
- What happens when we don’t “feel it” in our spiritual life?
- Making feelings and experiences into idols. Seeking them instead of seeking God.
- When God might use a period of spiritual dryness
- How do we stay obedient in the absence of emotion?
- There is no separation between sacred and secular – all is spiritual
- Making spiritual practices tangible
- Breath Prayers (e.g. “I am weak, but you a strong”)
- Silence as a spiritual practice and what to do about distractions
- Be patient, gentle, and generous with yourself
- Finding help for the Spiritual life in deep sources (e.g. Julian of Norwich)
- What is the relationship between suffering and the spiritual life?
- The metaphor of pregnancy and labor for the spiritual life.
Kelly’s Articles on Scot McKnight’s Blog
Other Links and Resources
- Scot McKnight’s Jesus Creed Blog
- Screwtape Letters – C.S. Lewis
- Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta
- Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God’s Transforming Presence – Ruth Haley Barton
- Ruth Haley Barton’s Blog
- Revelations of Divine Love – Julian of Norwich
Follow Matthew Brough on Social Media:
Get Consistent Connecting With God
So many people struggle with staying consistent in their devotional life. Here are 6 tips I've learned that can help you get back to a consistent time with God. Some are quick and easy, others will take you deeper.
Just let me know where to send it.